Physician Assistant Pin

Malpractice Insurance for Physician Assistants (PA’s) Practicing in Kansas

HB2516 became law in the state of Kansas on July 1, 2014.  This law contains amendments relating to Kansas malpractice insurance for Physician Assistants.

PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS (PA’s) were added to the definition of a “health care provider” and, therefore, PA’s must comply with the Kansas Health Care stabilization Fund.  This means these individuals must maintain medical professional liability coverage from a licensed insurer in the state of Kansas and participate in the Health Care Stabilization Fund (similar to physicians).  Key points:

  1. If you are a Physician Assistant rendering professional services in the state of Kansas, you will need to comply with the KS Fund by 1/1/2015.
  2. PA’s can no longer share policy limits.
  3. The details of KS Fund compliance vary depending on whether you reside in Kansas or another state.  Contact your broker to discuss.
  4. Effective 1/1/2015, changes in the status of your Kansas license and/or state of residence can have a significant impact on your malpractice insurance and potentially cost money.  Therefore, it is very important that you notify your broker in advance if you plan on moving to another state, or activating/inactivating any state medical licenses. .  

Please do not hesitate to contact our office with questions.  We’re happy to assist.


Sopyla & Associates, LLC



Request a Quote

Let us know how we can help.